Howie's Fan Club

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Blessed - Howie Lost, Then Found

Howard Pee Pugpants
Adventure Pug by Day,
Snoozer Pug by Night

Howie slipped through the interior slatted fence yesterday and darted out of the yard while we were having repairwork done on our exterior fence. He was headed up the block toward a busy street when our neighbor, Alan, saw him. Alan had a treat in his hand and lured Howie over and grabbed his collar just as Carlos (Howie's dad) was running in their direction.

Needless to say, we are blessed this easter. Losing Howie's sister Winnie was the hardest thing ever last year, to encephalitis. I am thanking every angel in heaven today that our wonderful neighbor was watching out for us, and for Howie yesterday.

But that's not where the story ends. This morning, one day after Howie was returned safely home, I opened my studio blinds and saw a little Schnauzer in the rain, headed up the same block all by himself. I went outside quickly and walked briskly toward him and past him at an angle, acting casual so he would not be afraid and run. My goal, first, was to get him to head in the opposite direction, away from the busy street he was moving toward. My second goal was to catch him if I could. And he came right to me.

He was shivering and wet in my arms and listened quietly as I talked to him. I rang several doorbells up and down the street, but no one knew the little fellow. He had no ID tags, except for a Banfield vet clinic 800 number tag which no one answers on a Sunday and there was no answering machine.

So the little friendly schnauzer who has no nametag or ID is resting quietly in a crate, waiting to go to my vet's office in the morning. They will scan him for an identichip and then take him to the Flower Mound Shelter. We are fortunate to have a shelter that has a very high reunion rate and a very high adoption rate. As friendly and well behaved as this little boy is, I know he will be okay.

One good turn deserves another, yes? So if the angels who were watching over my little Howard yesterday for me are listening now, thank you for letting me pay someone back by finding their baby today. I am so hopeful he will be reunited with his family tonight.

15 comments:

Ritobear said...

I'm so glad that your little angel is safe. Hopefully the other baby will find his owners, too.

Sandra y Coco Pug said...

oh, what a scare!!! i am glad Howie didnt go too far and that he is home safe. i hope you find the little doggie family also. coco has a microchip but when he is at home he doesnt wear a collar or harness, so he doesnt has his tags on. I dont think its a good idea but at the same time since he cant see, i fear he might get stuck with it. good luck with the little schnauzer!

Too Cute Pugs said...

Oh, we're so glad your baby is okay! I (Pearl) got out of the gate once and Mom went ballistic until she found me in the front yard.

We hope the schnauzer finds his family.

Pug love from,
Pearl & Daisy

Archie and Melissa said...

hi nancy!
oh my goodness! thank goodness howie's fieldtrip ended safely. i know he was probably just going to the grocery store but sheeh!

that little schnauzer is so lucky to have found you.

xoxoxo
m & ep

Libby's Library said...

Oh, I'm so glad that Howie didn't get hurt. George got loose once...it scared the daylight out of me. Luckily we found him a few blocks away (still inside the neighborhood). This is one of my biggest fears, now that we are near a very busy highway!

I just headed over to LindenLineDesigns. I want to order new halters and leashes, for George and Gracie. Thanks so much for the link!

Hope your Easter is a joyful one!

A New England Life said...

Someone is surely missing their baby today! Hopefully the owner will come looking for Mr. Schnauzer before the day is through.

Your heart must have been in your throat when little Howie made a break for it. That's just too scary! What's he thinking anyway? Does he really think he's going to have any better someplace else????

Laura said...

I'm so thankful Howie is okay! And bless you for saving the other little doggie - he probably got loose from a fence too! Be sure to look around for signs. I hope he gets reunited soon! Happy Easter!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Thank goodness Howie is safe. What a terrible nightmare, and thank goodness it did not last too long. My moms are always afraid of something like that too. We hope the little snauzer doggie gets back to his home. Thank you for sharring love with him
love
tweedles

Joan Princing Art said...

Oh my goodness! Can't even tell you how happy we are that Howie is back safe and sound! Absolutely, one good deed definitely deserves another...I love how the circle works...it is truly beautiful.
Extra Hugs,
Joan & Skippy

Moco said...

What in the world was Howie thinking? DId he have a brain malfunction leaving his wonderful home like that. Maybe it was alien intervention. Thank dogness for your wonderful neighbor.
How lucky for that poor pup to be on your street.

Nancy at the Farm said...

Howie, weez nose you was trying to get to our house to defend Dottie but youse supposed to drive yourself and not take public transportation! Don't scare us like that! Mum got all teary thinking about youse getting hit by a big old bus! Please read our blog (we mention you) cause we got some real Dottie trouble on the horizon and it involves chairs!

Love, Dozer, Dottie and Cooper

Becky said...

So glad that Howie is safe and sound thanks to Alan. Fuji takes off running if she ever happens to get out, it's a game you know. Hope the schnauzer finds his happy home, I'm sure somebody is missing him very much!

Kelly said...

OH MY GOODNESS, HOWIE MY LOOOOVE!

I am sweating. My paws are shaking. I can not believe it! I know we talked about you comin' to see me for Easter, but HOWIE! I thought you'd at least take the Greyhound. To think about what coulda happened to you out there on that scary street. Oh, I need to go lie down.

NEVER AGAIN HOWIE... ok?

I am off to make myself a nice stiff drinky. You've scared me right out of my wits.

Brill said...

Just goes to show you, that for all they pretend to be Couch Potates, Pugs can be pretty quick sometimes !

Here is a story that happened over here at Christmas about a grandma and her missing pug !
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2009/01/06/shy-hero-found-my-missing-pet-coco-100252-22612885/

Anonymous said...

Oh wow how scary is that?? Indy has done that to me a few times last summer..
So glad you got him back safe and sound!